FanFiction.net Fanfiction Survey

bendaimmortal posted on Mar 29, 2011 at 06:59PM
I did not make any of these questions. I found them from blogs. (link and link.)

I will post my own asnwers in a new post.

~*~*~*~

0. Your fanfiction pen name?
1. Do you read or write fanfiction?
2. When did you first start reading/writing fanfiction?
3. What was your first fandom?
4. First ship?
5. What website do you use most?
6. What do you think of Fanfiction.net?
7. What fandoms have you written in?
8. Pairings?
9. Any fandoms you would like to write in?
10. Do reviews affect how you write in any way?
11. Do you use a beta?
12. What ratings do you read/write?
13. What warnings have you used on your fiction/read?
14. Do you have any squicks?
15. Do you Role-play online?
16. Have you ever stolen something from another person's work?
17. Favorite fandom to write/read?
18. Favorite pairing?
19. Favorite writer/writers?
20.How long should a chapter be?
21. Do you write/read drabbles?
22. Any fandoms you avoid?
23-Pairings you avoid?
24. Warnings you avoid?
25. Do the number of reviews tell how good a story is?
26. What do you think of Mary Sues?
27. Have you ever flamed someone?
28. Have you ever been flamed?
29. How many fanfictions have you written?
30. What genres do you write?
31. What story of yours has the most comments, and how many?
32. Most words?
33. Which one do you like the best?
34. Which one do you like the least?
35. What do you think of het stories?
36. Slash/yaoi?
37. Favourite het pairing?
38. Favourite slash pairing?
39. Do you write about your original characters or canon characters for fandoms?

Your Stories

Choose your top three stories (Or oneshots) you like best.

What's #1 about?
Number 2?
Number 3?

Why do you like them?

Your Favorites

How many favorite authors do you have?
Favorite stories?
What genres are your favorite stories?
Will you read someone's stories if they asked you to?

FanFiction.net 5 回复

Click here to write a response...
一年多以前 bendaimmortal said…
Angel'JR

Both. Mostly write, these days.

Reading, around 13 years of age. Writing around 14 years of age.

In reading: Titanic.
In writing: Wes Craven's SCREAM. But it was just couple of random stories that were left very unfinished. So, I'd like to say more "officially", The Phantom of the Opera or Peter Pan, I'm not sure.

4. First ship?
Either Peter Pan/Wendy or Erik/Christine. Again I don't remember which fandom was first.

FanFiction.Net

I love it to bits. I've no bad word against it.

Harry Potter, Peter Pan, The Phantom of the Opera, The Lion King. And will likely write also on Lord of the Rings and Wes Craven's Scream.

8. Pairings?
Peter Pan/Wendy, Erik/Christine.

The Lord of the Rings. And I will--some day when inspiration hits enough. And Star Wars but that is unlikely as I don't know enough about that world. I did once write a few stories in forum roleplay game though, but there of course I had help from the other players.

Well, if someone gives constructive and useful critisism, then yes they do. And of course any positive review on my style is encouraging to go on with it.

11. Do you use a beta?
No, unless I have to. (Like when trying to get a story up to MuggleNet FanFiction, they're extremely strict even with the smallest grammar details.)

I read any ratings, but prefer stuff from G to NC-17, but I prefer PG-13 and M. I write PG-13 and Mature Teens. Sometimes PG.

Mild/strong language, mild/strong violence, sexual themes, emotional abuse, sensitive issues/topics.

No.

Yes. It is one of my favourite hobbies.

Hell no. Thieves piss me off big time and I don't understand how can anyone get any pleasure ou of getting credit for something they did not do themselves!? x( Human mind is a really strange place.

Harry Potter.

18. Favorite pairing?
Peter Pan/Wendy.

Don't really have any in particular.

I don't know. Depends on what happens in it. But preferably at least some thousand words, I think

No.

Anime/Manga.

23. Pairings you avoid?
Any that don't have realistic potential.

24. Warnings you avoid?
Any sexual abuse of a child. So totally not my thing even for horror.

Of course not. By all means they might be all quite negative. The only thing it tells about the story is that it apparently provokes many readers want to say something.

Well, they're not the end of the world and may even be entertaining, but I'd advice people to avoid writing them because it takes a heck of a talented writer to write an entertaining Mary Sue / Gary Sue and without such the story is of course much better.

Once. Back when I was 13 years old and someone had written a fic I thought was in horribly poor taste for the fandom. I still think it was, but the thing is, now I'm all grown up and would be mature enough to give actually constructive critisism and express my opinions appropriately. :P I'm not proud of that stupid review back then.

Not that I recall.

I haven't counted. 20 or more. They're not all currently published though.

Drama, Angst, Romance, Horror.

Nothing special. What should I think of them? They're stories just like any other.

36. Slash/yaoi?
Basically fine but I think fanfiction world has gone fanatic over it. It fawnes over homosexuality on a level I just don't understand. Like, writing as gay, relationships that in canon are not meant to be so, or even contradict such visions. I might read slash if it wasn't so over-rated in fanfiction world. I don't appreciate fawning over homosexuality any more than homophobia because both attitudes single out gay people instead of letting them be equal to others. I don't write slash unless its canon.

Peter Pan/Wendy.

None.

39. Do you write about your original characters or canon characters for fandoms?
Both. Equally much actually, if not a bit more about my originals as I enjoy it most when I'm writing about my original characters. And I never pair my original characters with any canon characters.

Your Stories

What's #1 about?
link (Rated T) is a Harry Potter one-shot about the day when Barty Crouch Jr. was saved from Azkaban by his parents, and takes also a look into his tortured year in the prison.

Number 2?
link (Rated M) is a Harry Potter one-shot about my original werewolf/wizard character (as a child in this story.) What's a genuine full moon like to a spirited, horror fan wizard/werewolf child in muggles' London? While the ladies of his family have disturbing issues with werewolves? Video trailers for the story: link, link and link

Or link (Rated M), a one-shot about that same original werewolf character as a teenager, but more from the point of view of his mother, and more of a horror genre.

Number 3?
link (Rated T) is a Harry Potter short story (2 chapters) about how Barty Crouch Jr. became a Death Eater in summer 1981.

Why do you like them?
- Screaming In Our Hearts is about the part of the Crouch family's time line always fascinated me the most, so I was happy to get to write it down in my own vision and I managed to really pour emotion into it.
- Wolf Like Me partially because it was fun to write about a free werewolf that had not been tamed by the Wolfsbane Potion and I think this story introduces the darkness in him and his family history quite intriguingly. But what do I know, I only created and wrote it--and to the author it of course is. All Through The NIght because it's more dynamically psychological and horror, and my verbal skills have clearly improved between these two storie. I can't decide which I like better because they're both about the same character at different ages and different style stories...
- The Destroying Angel is another part of the Crouch family timeline that has always fascinated me a lot and this was probably the best game topic I've ever played with a canon character--as in the story became very good quality seeing to its topic.

Your Favorites

None.

Favorite stories?
link (Rated T) - a Barty Crouch Jr. one-shot, which I found awfully intriguing and entertaining, though I don't think it logic for him to be that messed up until after Azkaban. But nonetheless, a great little story.
link (Rated T) - not exactly a story but this is hilarious! (Based on the 2005 thriller/horror movie 'Red Eye'.)

Well, I guess I'm most drawn to Drama/Angst and Romance/Humour or simply Humour. And Suspence and Horror.

If the idea/plot intrigues me even a little, yes. If not, then probably no.
last edited 一年多以前
一年多以前 alexajaye said…
alexajaye - all lower case letters. Weird, I know, but I’ve always had it.

Both. And at equal intervals. I tend to look at other stories for the fandom I’m writing for at the time, to see what other people are writing and to make sure mine’s a little different — which they all pretty much are.

When I was nine. It was actually the first thing I started writing, at little snippets, and it grew until I started making up my own characters and stories. I’ve been writing it virtually all my life.

Star Wars.

4. First ship?
In real fanfiction? Harry and Ginny. I was little late coming in to the whole thing.

It’s a cross between Fanpop and FanFiction.net. I’ve also been going to Twilighted a lot recently.

It is, for the most part, a pretty good archive. I don’t mind sifting through the thousands of stories to find a few good ones. It isn’t a bad way to spend a lazy Sunday.

Star Wars, Harry Potter, Twilight, Blood Ties, Criminal Minds, Supernatural, James Camerons’ Avatar, Percy Jackson, James Bond. That’s just off the top of my head.

8. Pairings?
Anakin/Padme, Harry/Ginny/, Alice/Jasper

Pretty much any “fandom” I want to write a story in, I pretty much do, so I can’t think of any one fandom I’ve wanted to write a story in that I didn’t actually write one in.

Yes, and no. Good reviews spur me on the try different things. Bad reviews are just useless.

11. Do you use a beta?
Thought about it at one point, but I pretty much proofread and edit my own stories with a fine tooth comb. Mostly what I’d need is a sounding board — kind of like a partner to bounce ideas off of, and I don’t think that’s such a bad thing. So far, I don’t have any takers.

Since I’m adult, I’ll read just about any rating, and I’ll write it as well. But unless I feel the need, I don’t usually write “adult” rated stories for the masses. So, PG-13 for me, it is.

Mild violence, language, themes and situations. I’ve ventured into more adult themes depending on the ages of my characters, but again, unless I feel the need, I don’t usually need it.

No.

No. Think about it every now and then, but no.

I’ve gotten ideas from reading other people’s work, but copied word for word? No. That’s just wrong.

Currently? Twilight, but only because I like seeing what the people who try different things can come up with. I’ve actually started a new James Bond story, but it’s still in its beginner stages.

18. Favorite pairing?
Alice/Jasper

A lot. And not just in the fanfiction world.

Depends on the story. Short chapters can be good for intros or epilogues. My chapters tend to be anywhere from 15 to 20 pages long. Around five to seven thousand words.

Not really.

Anything I know nothing about.

23. Pairings you avoid?
Anyone I’m not familiar with.

24. Warnings you avoid?
Rape. Gore. Extreme character death. Torture. Slavery. I don’t do extreme.

No. Never. Some of the best stories I’ve read have probably less than half the amount of stories that poorly written but deliver a lot of violence, sex and profanity — along with poor grammar, mechanics and typography. That’s not to say that I haven’t read stories with a lot of reviews, but still. It doesn’t sell the story for me.

Of the few I’ve read, I can’t say they’re entirely bad. They’re not good, and they’re a little generic, but it’s not like they’ll provoke the end of the world coming on. I try not to write any of my characters like that, but it takes practice.

No. If I don’t have anything good to say, I don’t usually say anything at all. People can be a little touchy when it comes to their writing, and they can get defensive when you’re just trying to help. So I stopped trying to help.

Not really. I’ve never had anyone blast me for any of the character choices I’ve made, but I had one reviewer express their personal opinion. It was just a one-sided thing for them to say, and it didn’t bother me.

It’s in the mid to high 20s, but that number increases once every couple months. They’re not all published. Not sure they will be.

Drama, Science fiction, fantasy, Supernatural, Romance, Adventure, a little of everything.

Second Skin – it has 32 reviews.

32. Most words?
Second Skin (for James Cameron’s Avatar) – 282,000 words finished.

Which story of mine? Not sure.

It’s like picking favorites. I can’t do it.

No opinion.

36. Slash/yaoi?
Sometimes. Depends on how well-written it is, and who’s involved.

Alice/Jasper, Rosalie/Emmett

Edward/Jasper

A mixture of both. It helps me still create in a world that’s already mostly established.

Your Stories

What's #1 about?
link (for Avatar & Rated M) — It’s a story written from Jake Sulley’s point of view set about ten years after the movie when the main character discovers something that changes his life forever.

Number 2?
link (for Supernatural & Rated T) — It’s a post-Season 5, semi-alternate universe story about a plot by Lilith and her underhanded ways of being brought back. Involves a lot of research and back story.

Number 3?
Twist of Fate (for Harry Potter & Rated T-M) — It’s a story I thought up while reading through book seven, and I decided I wanted to try bringing Cedric back from the dead. And I did it in a way I’d never heard of before. It's not published, and probably never will be.

Why do you like them?
Second Skin - I like this one because it was such a fast and easy story to write. The idea literally hit me, and I wrote it in under six months. I loved the world and the characters, and I cried and laughed and got mad. It was a whirlwind of emotions. A sequel is in the works.

Resurrection - I like it because it was one of the coolest ideas I’d ever had, and I loved doing research for it. I loved that it spurred even more ideas for the universe, and I’m writing a sequel.

Twist of Fate - This was really the first story I tried to create my own world inside the world. I wanted to create a new timeline and a new future. I’m still writing it, and it comes in waves. I love Harry Potter, and it’s perfect the way it is. I only consider it something for me personally.

Your Favorites

FanFiction authors? A few. Real ones? Quite a few more.

Favorite stories?
There are too many to name.

Drama, adventure, romance, supernatural

Sometimes.
last edited 一年多以前
一年多以前 ValarieD said…
Destiny J. Adams

Yes. Read more then write, 'cause it's hard to get motivated.

3 or 4 years ago.

MacGyver

4. First ship?
None

Fanfiction.net, livejournal.com, bonanzabrand.net

There is a lot of junk, but it's worth shifting through it to find the gems. :)

MacGyver, White Collar, Bonanza

8. Pairings?
Anything canon

Numb3rs, Hardy Boys, Adventures in Odysses

Reviews are like rain in a drought for me. Love them, and look forward to them. So yes, it motivates me to write more.

11. Do you use a beta?
I have on one of my stories.

T, K+ will probably get to M eventually

Violence or angst

No

No

No. However, I have gain inspiration from other works of fanfiction

Write and read: MacGyver, Bonanza, White Collar, Numb3rs, Hardy Boys, Adventures in Odyssey.
Read: Supernatural

18. Favorite pairing?
None really.

Supernatural: K Hanna Korossy
Hardy Boys: Red Hardy
Bonanza: Southplains
MacGyver: Kittn

Mine are usually 10 to 12 pages.

I write drabbles to help with writer's block sometimes. If the summary catches my eye, than yes, I will read them.

Harry Potter, Twilight, Vampire Dairies, Buffy

23-Pairings you avoid?
Slash

24. Warnings you avoid?
Explicit sex, romance, slash, wincest, OCs

Either how good it is or how many chapters it has.

They should be shot...

I hope not...

No...not really...

I have six published. A lot more written.

Drama, Western, Angst, Spiritual, Crime, Family

A Time to Learn - 3

32. Most words?

Crosswell: It was a challenge and it turned out a lot better than I thought it would.

Probably Ducky. I didn't put a lot of time in it and I could have done better.

I am not a fan of romance at all. I find it overrated and boring.

36. Slash/yaoi?
No

N/A

N/A

Canon Characters. I only add OCs when they expand on the original characters. I don't focus on them. If I wanted too, I would just write a book.

Your Stories

What's #1 Crosswell. White Collar. Summary: Neal sees something the jogs his memory. NOT romance.
Number 2? A Brothers' Guilt. Bonanza. Summary: Two bothers' love. Two Brothers' guilt.
Number 3? Golden Die. MacGyver. Summary: Tag to the Widowmaker. Mac has something to return.

Why do you like them?
I like Crosswell because it didn't take long to write, but it was a challenge. It caused to me think about White Collar, and about Neal's character and about his past.

A Brothers' Guilt I loved writing because I got to focus on brothers and that is my favorite thing to write about. The story is a tag to the ep My Brother's Keeper and canon left so many things uncovered. So really, how could I resist.

The same happened the Golden Die. Canon left so much, it is like a well of untapped richness. Yummy.

Your Favorites
My favorite what?

Favorite stories?

Anything but romance probably

Depends on the someone. If I was familiar with them, yes. If now, I would than make a decision.
一年多以前 TheDevilsDuches said…
link

•Both

•I don't know its been so lonbg ago. At least 5 years.

•Naruto

4. First ship?
•Angel/Buffy

•Fanfiction.net

•Love it, can drive me nuts sometimes

•Naruto
•Covert Affairs
•The Vampire Diaries
•Hellcats
•House MD
•Switched at Birth
•The Nine Lives of Chloe King
•Necessary Roughness
•Rookie Blue
•The Secret Circle

8. Pairings?
•It's a really long list so if you want to check it out got to my link

•I'd like to write something Damon/Elena but I'm having writers block

•Yes, a very big YES

11. Do you use a beta?
•Yes and link is AWESOME, and she also has an link too

•All

•Everything

•No

•No

•GOD NO!!! People who do that are ASSHOLES

•I don't have favorites. I go through periods of obsessions. I get really into a couple. Right now its Ethan/Cassie from The Secret Circle.

18. Favorite pairing?
•My OTP is House/Thirteen from House MD

•I Don't really have favorite but I really like link

•It depends on if its the right place to stop but no shorter than 500 words

•Yes to both

•None that I can think of

23-Pairings you avoid?
•Bill/Sookie from True Blood

24. Warnings you avoid?
•None

•No, what the reviews say tells me how good the story is

•It depends on if the writer can pull them off, but more often than not they suck

•No, I give critical reviews. I tell they what they did right, what they did wrong, and how to fix it. Sometimes people can't take the reviews though.

•Yes and it was really stupid, anonymous, and had horrible grammer

•All

link: 113

32. Most words?
link: 56,519

link

link

•Love 'em

36. Slash/yaoi?
•Love 'em

•Elijah/Elena

•Sasuke/Naruto

•Yes, but I don't post them on fanfiction.net anymore I post them on quizilla

Your Stories

1. link
2. link
3. link

What's #1 about?
•Oneshot: For Emmett and Bay everything is perfect in their romance, better than either could have hoped. But now the hardest obstacle they've ever had to face is on their doorstep, telling Daphne.

Number 2?
•Klaus is dead and everythings changed. Elena makes the decision to pull the dagger out of Elijah.

Number 3?
•House and Thirteen being together

Why do you like them?
•I think they came out really well. I'm proud of them.

Your Favorites

•Two and only because link and link

Favorite stories?
link
link
link
link
link
link
link

•All

•I'm a beta-reader so yeah
last edited 一年多以前
一年多以前 hinataxneji1 said…
narutoxhinataxneji1 (it's so long isn't it?)
Both, I like reading... alot. and Writing is my hobby.
Well, actually this summer.
My Babysitter's A Vampire
4. First ship?
Ethan/Sarah
FanFiction.net
It's awesome! Love it so much.
My Babysitter's A Vampire, and Wizards Of Waverly Place.
8. Pairings?
Sarah/Ethan or Erica/Benny
No, not really. I am just obsessed with My Babysitter's A Vampire (MBAV for short)
No, but is certainly does make me excited.
11. Do you use a beta?
This is my first time using it, so yes.
I read mostly T.
I don't use warnings because nothing goes on in my stories.
No.
Yes, I love RPing.
No, but I've been inspired.
MBAV
18. Favorite pairing?
Ethan/Sarah
5arcasmIsMyMiddleName & mspinky123
It depends on the story and it's events.
No.
Anything that isn't related to disney.
23-Pairings you avoid?
Any pairing that do not suit for each other at all.
24. Warnings you avoid?
Anything that contains... well let's say I don't read M rated stories.
No, reviews can be negative sometimes. But you might like a story even if doesn't have any reviews.
It depends on the character.
Only once when I just made a fanfiction.net account.
Nope, hope never.
about 6 so far, but I have many great ideas.
I don't really know, I write stories randomly. But what I like writing is drama and romance stories.
Don't Show, Don't Tell - it has like 2 chapters and 9 reviews.
32. Most words?
Wizards Vs. Spell Casters which is only 5,186 words sadly.
Don't Show Don't Tell
Hero In The City
They're good, I like them.
36. Slash/yaoi?
Didn't read them, never will.
Sarah/Ethan my FAVE pairing so far
Never will read those.
Both.

Your Stories

What's #1 about?
Don't Show, Don't Tell - It's when Ethan gets bitten by Erica and turns into an undead creature of the night (love saying this word).
Number 2?
Without Him - Benny finds a magic lamp and accidently wishes he never met his best friend Ethan.
Number 3?
His Mind Is Clear - Benny accidently casts a spell on his best friend causing him to lose his memory.

Why do you like them?
My best work so far. everytime I create a new story, I become better at writing.

Your Favorites

Favorite stories?
Falling Apart And Falling Together
The Kidnapping Of Ethan Morgan
My Babysitter's A Vampire: 3 Years Or Forever
Romance - Drama - Supernatural - Hurt/Comfort -
Maybe, if the story is written well.