posted by AdaLove
Our Twilight 吸血鬼 are different yet again, and there are frequent divergences from the 吸血鬼 of legend, although some features remain the same. As Stephenie Meyer explains, "Almost all of the superstitions about vampire limitations are entirely false in my world. 吸血鬼 don’t really have any limits, other than the self-imposed guideline to keep their existence a secret. No unconscious periods, no problem with sunlight, crosses, garlic, holy water, wooden stakes, etc… These are all myths–deliberately placed in earlier centuries to mislead impressionable humans and make them feel safe." (PC8)
1.))) 吸血鬼 are cold to the touch This is definitely true in Twilight. From the very first time Bella encounters Edward’s skin we discover that "his fingers were ice-cold" (TW2) The other Cullens seem to have similarly icy skin: Carlisle has "cool fingers" (TW3), Esme has a "cold stone grasp" (TW15), and so on.
2.)) As they are dead, 吸血鬼 do not need oxygen for survival. Again, this is true. Bella notices from her first encounter with Edward that "he continued to sit so still it looked like he wasn’t breathing." (TW1). He explains this in 更多 depth to Bella later in the novel when she asks how long he can go without breathing: "Indefinitely, I suppose. I don’t know. It gets a bit uncomfortable, being without a sense of smell." (TW16).
3.)) 吸血鬼 have pale skin and fangs. All of the Cullens have very pale skin, "Paler than me, the albino" (TW1); skin that is regularly described as "marble" (TW13) in both its colour and perfection. The skin is also remarkable because of the "purplish bruiselike shadows" beneath the eyes indicative of a lack of sleep. However, the Twilight vampires, "Do not have fangs. Their teeth are so sharp and strong that fangs are hardly necessary (they could bite through steel, if so inclined, a human neck is like butter)" (PC1) In many ways, Meyer’s 吸血鬼 are much 更多 violent than the 吸血鬼 of legend, as their drinking of blood involves much 更多 savaging of flesh than two tidy fang holes in a neck.
4.)) 吸血鬼 can shift shape and even fly (sometimes in the form of a bat) Bella asks about this when Edward offers to 显示 her how he travels through the forest: "Will 你 turn into a bat?" I asked warily. He laughed, louder than I had ever heard. "Like I haven’t heard that one before." It’s fair to assume from Edward’s response that this stereotypical expectation is so far from true that it is laughable. Instead of flight, Stephenie Meyer’s 吸血鬼 have the skill of extreme speed and fast reflexes. Their running is the equivalent of flying. The five-mile hike to the meadow is done on the return journey "in a matter of minutes" (TW13), and Edward’s driving is similarly fast, but very 安全 due to his speedy reflexes: "I’ve never been in an accident." (TW9) Any flight, however, has to be done in an aeroplane, such as Edward "catching the first flight out of Seattle" (TW21) to be with Bella!
5.)) 吸血鬼 don’t have reflections in a mirror In Twilight 吸血鬼 do have a reflection. On the flight from James, Bella notes Edward’s hesitation when "I saw his expression in the mirror," (TW18) of the car. In PC4, Stephenie Meyer dismisses this part of vampire lore, saying it will be addressed in New Moon, but her 吸血鬼 definitely do have reflections.
6. A vampire can only enter a house if he is invited in. "Vampires need no invitation to enter any house." (). We see Edward retrieving Bella’s truck keys from her house without any invitation, and he is is capable of watching her at night without her knowledge.
7. Sunlight may burn 或者 kill vampires. Bella had heard of this myth herself: "Vampires couldn’t come out in the daytime, the sun would burn them to a cinder." Although none of the Cullens attend school when it is sunny, this is not because the sun hurts them, because "it doesn’t," but because they "can’t go out in the sunlight" at least, not where anyone can see," because of the dazzling diamond-like glittering in the skin. Sunlight marks 吸血鬼 out for what they are, but does not harm them in any way.
8. 吸血鬼 cannot eat human food. Their sustenance comes from blood alone. This feature of 吸血鬼 is seen right from the very first chapter when Alice throws away her, "unopened soda, unbitten apple" . Bella gets curious enough to ask Edward what would happen if he actually did eat something, and Edward "deliberately bit off a mouthful [of pizza], chewed quickly and then swallowed." thereby proving that it is possible for 吸血鬼 to physically eat. However, we are also told that due to the physical changes inherent in becoming a vampire, "He’d have to cough it up later to get rid of it. Not the most pleasant thing, which is why the 吸血鬼 only eat 食物 when they absolutely have to in order to blend in."
9. Crosses, garlic, holy water and similar items ward off vampires. Stephenie Meyer sums this up best: "Bunch of garbage."( The Cullens are so unaffected 由 this that they even have an old wooden 交叉, 十字架 hanging in their home, which used to belong to Carlisle’s father. Edward laughs and admits, "It is sort of ironic."
10. 吸血鬼 can be killed 由 decapitation, a wooden stake 或者 a consecrated bullet through the heart. 吸血鬼 can be killed, although only other 吸血鬼 are strong enough to do it. Emmett and Jasper "took care" of James and it is likely that they followed the known way to end a 吸血鬼 existence, namely, "to tear him to shreds and then burn the pieces." It is impossible for a human to kill a vampire 由 any means because they are too strong to be susceptible to humans 或者 human weapons: "You try shoving wood through granite." (
11. 吸血鬼 sleep in coffins. Again, this is something that Bella remembers about 吸血鬼 when she is first investigating them: "They slept in coffins all 日 and only came out at night." (TW7). This is obviously highly unlikely as the Cullens are usually at school, 或者 at work during the day, and is something that Bella and Edward joke about later when Bella is visiting the Cullen home. "No coffins?" Apart from anything else, in the Twilight world, 吸血鬼 don’t sleep. "I can’t sleep" , so coffins would be entirely redundant anyway!
added by CrisBxFBxATxN
In WE'VE MET BEFORE, Alice and Jasper meet for the first time...or so it would seem. As the conversation evolves, the history of their true and everlasting 爱情 is coyly revealed. Directed 由 Yulin Kuang.