True Writers Week One of 写作 Comp

alicia386 posted on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:18PM
This is the first annual writing comp. (please hold the aplause until the end, thank you). Your first assignment is to write a short story about all of these items: a monkey, a clam, a balloon, and some cake. The story that is the most creative wins the first ever True Writers Writing Comp. (now you may applause.

May the force be with you, young writiers (no i did not steal that from star wars, star wars stole it from me)
 This is the first annual 写作 comp. (please hold the aplause until the end, thank you). Your first

True Writers 10 回复

Click here to write a response...
一年多以前 sawfan13 said…
Cool! I'll try out for it!!! :D!!
一年多以前 wantadog said…
Short enough to be in one post, right? Sounds cool, I'll give it a shot.
一年多以前 wantadog said…
cool
(This is LITERALLY the only thing I could come up with that included those things...Scavenger hunt, anyone?)

Jessica woke up this morning, hoping it was any other day, but sure enough, it was June 14, her birthday. Her family had a strange tradition of hiding clues throughout the city that led to the location of the party and what will be in it. Jessica hated this tradition almost as much as she hated the parties themselves. She slowly began to dress herself. “Heh, maybe if I take too long, they might call it off.” She thought to herself. Not likely, they would probably wait days for her to find everything. She shoved her shoes on and walked out into the living room. She wasn’t surprised to see her parents and two brothers were gone. Jessica wasted no time and walked outside and into the street. It was cold out, despite it being summer. She figured her first stop should be to the bakery across the street, it would be the only place to pick up a cake. She crossed the street, not caring if it was safe or not and entered the small bakery. A small, short woman was minding the counter.
“Why, hello there! You come for something?”
“No, thank you, just here to browse.” She replied, odds were she already knew why she was here. She began to look around the store for any kind of clue. She noticed that the cakes on display didn’t match up with the tags. A chocolate cake was where a carrot cake should be, a vanilla cake was where the chocolate cake should be. Jessica read the first letter of each cake. It read “red velvet”. So she was having a red velvet cake? Seems so. The clerk smiled at her knowingly.
“Anything I can help you with?”
“Yes, I like exploring shops, which ones would you recommend?”
“I suggest you go to the pet store. They have the cutest animals.”
“Okay, I’ll do that, thank you.” Jessica left the bakery and turned left. She knew which way to go, her brother worked part time at the pet shop. She reached the shop within a few minutes. The store was just an ordinary one that she used to visit, but not anymore. Nowadays she never really did any of the things she used to. Jessica walked inside to reveal an empty store. Frowning, she walked in. She walked past the turtles, the rabbits, and the hamsters, over to a small area where the sea monkeys were kept. These animals were her brothers favorite. She looked around, but didn’t find anything. That was odd, maybe the clue was by the food. She walked over to where they kept the food and began searching. Within a minute, she had found it. A small slip of paper. Jessica unfolded it and read the note.
“Where they are kept.” Jessica frowned, ‘where they are kept?’ But she just checked there. Maybe they meant after you buy them. You obviously take them home, but what about after that? Jessica groaned. Of course they would make her go all the way to the other side of the city. It really sucks having detectives as parents. Jessica ran to the bus stop, determined to get this over with before she actually started to enjoy it. She boarded the bus, dropping 50 cents into the box and took a seat near the front. A half hour later, the bus reached her stop, the farthest stop from where she started, but the closest to the city’s aquarium. She walked over and entered the aquarium. This one was probably gonna take awhile. Jessica spent the next hour going from display to display, searching for anything that might be a clue. She eventually wandered back to the entrance, both irritated at not finding anything, and exited that it was a challenge. She took a break on one of the benches and closed her eyes, immediately opening them and looking to her left. There, in front of her, was a small model aquarium. Inside of it, towards the left, was a large clam that could open and close. Usually the aquarium would have it open to put some display or sign. She looked around to see if anyone was watching and reached in, grabbing the clam. She was right. Inside the clam was 20 dollars and a shopping list. Must have been mom who placed this one. Jessica knew where to go now. They always shopped at a small Winn-Dixie that was back towards the house. Jessica returned the clam and rested for awhile on the bench before leaving. Another half hour bus ride later, she arrived at her stop. Jessica left the bus and headed right, towards the Winn-Dixie. She reached the store and walked inside. She immediately saw what she was looking for. It seemed that someone had taken all the ‘Happy Birthday!’ balloons and tied them to a cart. Jessica walked over to the cart and began to examine the balloons. She started holding them up to the light to see what was inside. The first was hollow. So was the second, and the third, and the fourth, but the fifth had a small object inside. Jessica grinned, this had ‘Dad’ written all over it. Jessica bought the items on the shopping list and popped the balloon when she got outside. Inside was a small piece of paper. It had the address of one of dad’s co-workers on it and the location of where a key was kept. Jessica took the bus one last time and walked over to the house, used the key to unlock the door, and went inside. Loud cheers greeted her as everyone shouted at once “Happy Birthday!” Jessica couldn’t help but grin. After all, she had indeed enjoyed the scavenger hunt and who knows…maybe she’ll enjoy the next one too.
一年多以前 alicia386 said…
big smile
Really creative, u used all the things needed, (now if only my parents let me have scavenger hunt)
一年多以前 hgfan5602 said…
I will try out for it. Here goes nothing..

Hey, you know what? I love cake, just like any other ordinary kid in the universe. Well, that is, up until one particular day, when this strange incident occurred. I was sleeping in, like usual. Guess what. I was late today. But when I woke up, I saw a clam closing its mouth on my eyelids, forcing me to fall back asleep. I couldn't believe my eyes. I must be hallucinating. It was a strange-looking clam, all right. It had two googly eyes, a short tail, a large and sausage-like mouth, and a tiny little nose. Now, out of all the crazy things you could think of, I'll bet you anything that you never saw a dancing monkey on your bed. Okay, next thing I saw, a monkey was dancing on my bed, singing "Joy to the World." Now, um...I was kind of worried that I might have had brain cancer or Alzheimer's disease then. It was one thing if you had a clam clamping down on your eyes, but a monkey dancing on your bed was certainly another. The monkey took out some crash cymbals, and as if on cue, once it crashed the cymbals for the first time, two Goldfish balloons swam into my room. No, that isn't the right description. They were holding hands, no, fins, and kissing. ARGHHHH now THIS was driving me up the wall. I went downstairs. There was no one down there. Instead, my parents yelled at me from downstairs, "STACEY JOHANNAS MCCUMMINGTON! GET DOWN HERE THIS INSTANT. YOU HAVE MADE THE KITCHEN AN ABSOLUTE MESS. First some clams, then some monkeys, and Goldfish balloons! By golly, it looks like a zoo in here!" I went downstairs, only to be smeared in the face by my annoying older brother, Jonas, with a pineapple-upside-down cake.

last edited 一年多以前
一年多以前 alicia386 said…
laugh
Cute story!
一年多以前 hgfan5602 said…
Thank you Alicia! When is the deadline of the contest again?
一年多以前 wavequeen said…
sad
I have a mind blank for that o-0. Maybe next time ^_^
一年多以前 dragonsmemory said…
Here's MY attempt. Please hold all questions, comments, disclaimers, flames, and screaming babies until the end. Please keep all limbs inside the ride at all times. Thank you.
WARNING: Do not read if you are prone to laughing seizures, shouting at technology, or nitpicking for some scrap of logic. If any of these things give you a headache while reading, see your doctor immediately. Your mind was probably blown.
May contain mild language.

CLAMMING UP
On a normal day, I wake up, eat breakfast, and get ready for school. That's on a NORMAL day. This day I'm talking about was anything but. It started out normal enough…I think. After that, it got weirder and weirder. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's start at the very beginning. After all, it's a very good place to start. From the beginning, we'll continue on to the end, then stop. So, the beginning. I suppose it all started with that *bleep*ing monkey and his balloon…

Mondays are always the worst day of the week. I'm sure you all agree with me. You're tired, pissed at the sun for rising so damn early, pissed at your alarm clock for being so loud, pissed at the shower for being cold, pissed at everything for one reason or another.
Well, on this particular Monday, during an adventure-filled dream, there wasa sudden explosion of sound. Itwasn't anything like the music on my alarm clock. That seeps into my dream. This sound kicked down the door.
I jumped awake to find a small monkey standing over me, balloon in oned hand, needle in the other. The balloon was still inflated, which made me wonder what the sound was. And then I saw it.
Tied to the monkey's wrists were castanets made from LIVE CLAMS. If that wasn't odd enough,.the monkey had put a large cake on my bedside table. Apparently that was my breakfast.
The monkey clapped his clams together, then jumped down.
"Wait!" I called. He stopped. "What's with the balloon?" I could only guess by his chittering that I was lucky he hadn't popped it. YET. I leaned back against the pillows, hoping that knocking myself out would wake me up. It did.
一年多以前 hgfan5602 said…
HAHAHA THAT WAS GREAT.