魔戒 LOTR - the 图书 are hot, the 电影院 not.

Elenna posted on Nov 12, 2009 at 08:47AM
OK, I am a LOTR fan sinceever I layed my hands on the books at the age of 12. And I've also read many of the other JRR Tolkien books.
I quite anticipated the first of the movies, but it turned out to be a big letdown, at least to me. The reason? I think the director focussed too much on the dark and ugly scenes (which I know belong to LOTR). BUT he left out most of the scenes of peace and beauty, which would have belonged there just as much. So I didn't bother to watch movie 2 and 3, because everyone kept telling me they were even more of what I didn't like about the first.

Has anybody experienced the same or similar?
And if you disagree, feel free to tell me your reasons it as well.

魔戒 12 回复

Click here to write a response...
一年多以前 adieee said…
i haven't read the books so i don't know but i loved the movies
一年多以前 shihtzuoscar said…
Love the books,love the movies.
一年多以前 MegGiry said…
Yes, I know what you`re talking about. Those scary orcs and endless fights and everything...
That`s why I enjoyed an extended version, there`re many beautiful scenes cut from the ''original'' movie.
Also the good guys are too aggressive with each other in the movie, snatching weapons and threatening each other every now and then. I mean for example when Faramir catches Frodo and Sam. In the book they have long polite conversations, in the movie Faramir behaves like some gangster. Hey, it`s LOTR, not some cheap western !
一年多以前 DracoLuver said…
I understand what you mean! PJ focused way too much on action, and the Faramir thing angered me! He looked mean and decietful when he was suppose to be nice and understanding. That's the whole reason his father preferred Boromir.
But, I guess, it wasn't as bad as it could be, so I was okay with it.
They also showed too much Arwen and changed her character :/
I also didn't like how some scenes were altered.
last edited 一年多以前
一年多以前 gaurdianKieren said…
fuck you idiot
一年多以前 tinzn92 said…
^That was just rude, guardianKieren!!

I love both the books and the movies.
一年多以前 LoveOfLegolas said…
I love both the movies and the books but some changes PJ made annoy me.
一年多以前 dawntreaderca said…
Faramir was right to treat the hobbits like that. Afterall he had thought that they were spies. And Denethor did not dislike him for looking "mean"and "deceitful"
"He welcomed Gandalf at such times as he came to the City, and he learned what he could from his wisdom;and in this as in many other matters he displeased his father."
The parts that Ihated were Arwen's character was invoved. I could't see where her character stood in the story.
All in all they are wonderful movies all of them.
Loved both movies and the books.
last edited 一年多以前
一年多以前 cheekimunkei said…
i love both for both same and different reasons. try some of the extra scenes, some of them are different...
一年多以前 DracoLuver said…
Faramir was right to treat the hobbits like that. Afterall he had thought that they were spies. And Denethor did not dislike him for looking "mean"and "deceitful"
"He welcomed Gandalf at such times as he came to the City, and he learned what he could from his wisdom;and in this as in many other matters he displeased his father.

Actually, no. Even if he thought there were spies, his brother had gone to aid them at one point, so he know those little hobbits were doing something big. Tolkien didn't intend to make him be suspicious of them, and he wasn't wavered by power.
Also, I never said Denethor liked him because he was deceitful, I mean, Faramir believed in something entirely different things than Boromir. Boromir isn't evil, but he was persuaded very easily, especially when power was involved. He wanted to use the ring against the enemy, something Denethor probably would agree with, but Faramir wouldn't.
Also, Arwen wasn't suppose to stand out. She wasn't suppose to be kick-butt, which was what Eowyn was. Arwen was suppose to be calm and logical. Aragorn was a ranger and had been through so many wars and such, so he needed someone grounded who were assertive and not too out there.
She also wasn't suppose to be powerful. Not all Elves are able to summon water like that, only a select few who are extremely powerful. Which is why Elrond was able to summon it because he had that power

But anyway, I'm not denying that they're good movies because they are. I love them so much and I've watched all of them at least five times each.
Peter did whatever he could possibly do and I respect him for that because he did do a better job than what most people would do.
last edited 一年多以前
一年多以前 ImAnEasel said…
monkey
'That's open to debate.' - Dr Blowhole.

Sorry, I just have to include a quote from The Penguins Of Madagascar in everything I can, these days. XD

Ahem.

I think the films are amazing. True, I haven't read the books, but I know an amazing film when I see one and those were three AMAZING films.

I also watched the appendices (Spelling?) for the films. They had a time limit in which to make the film and they also had a limit of how many scenes they could put into the film. The actors, every single one of them, played their parts exceedingly well, the music was ace, the hobbit holes and make-up and costumes and... well... EVERYTHING was top-quality!!!!!!

And I don't think Peter Jackson (the director) focused too much on the darker bits of the books, at all. Especially in the extended versions of the films. Every single person worked very hard to make these films and they succeeded, in my opinion. Every tiny detail was polished to perfection (metaphorically speaking).

Have you read the Harry Potter books and watched the Harry Potter films? THOSE are the films you should be criticizing! They hardly stick to the books at all! They leave LOADS of scenes out AND change some of the ones they don't leave out! If Peter Jackson had directed them all, they would have been sooooooooooooooooooooo much better. But I digress.

You shouldn't criticize the films, when you've only seen one film, none of the appendices and probably not the extended version of the one film you watched. You shouldn't judge them.

'Don't know me, can't judge me.' - Hunter. :P

See what I mean about the Penguins Of Madagascar quotes!? xDD

Thankyou for reading. X3
一年多以前 LowriLorenza89 said…
I don't really agree, but I think I'm focusing more on the parts which were well adapted from book to film, and the additional/changed parts which I feel worked well, while you're focusing on the parts which were in your/our opinion let down.

I fully agree about the change in Faramir's story in The Two Towers. I remember being outraged when I first saw that - I could barely restrain myself from shouting out "they ruined his character!" right there in the cinema, since he's one of my favourite characters. I understand why they did it - creating more tension and threat for Frodo and Sam's part of the story - but I feel it'd have been better to stay more true to his character.

Same for the emphasis on Arwen's character and her relationship with Aragorn. I think that's more a reflection of how people's interests and desires have changed over the years - back when the books were written, wasn't she just in it because as King Aragorn would need a wife to continue the royal line, whereas now most viewers would want to see more of their romance, and would want her character fleshed out and made more heroic to be "worthy" of him?

I haven't really noticed that the films are particularly dark though. I feel that they do include some light/hopeful/humorous moments, as well as the scary action parts. The extended versions, as others have mentioned, are good for the extra little character moments. But I understand why those scenes were cut. Otherwise the films would be 4 hours plus each! I'm fine with watching films that long, with a break halfway, but I know a lot of people criticise even the shortened versions for being too long.