值得一读的书 If 你 could only recommend ONE book for everyone to read...

cressida posted on Aug 15, 2007 at 02:33PM
...what would it be? What book do you wish everyone in the world would read, whether because it is entertaining, or informative, or inspirational?

值得一读的书 99 回复

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 99

一年多以前 cressida said…
The book that I pull out of my back pocket (figuratively speaking, although often literally) when soneone asks me to recommend a book for them is Octavia E. Butler's Parable of the Sower.

Parable of the Sower is a scifi book for those who don't like scifi -- but is also greatly loved by those who do. It is a futuristic tale (though only by a few decades) of the U.S. in environmental, social and political decline and growing Christian extremism. It is narrated by Lauren Olamina, an eighteen-year-old Black woman who suffers from hyperempathy, a psychological condition that makes the "Sharer" experience the pain and pleasure others feel. This is an AMAZING book -- that is ridiculously hard to find in libraries and small bookstores. But I really do recommend it to everyone.
一年多以前 kateliness2 said…
Well, I'd probably say the Bible, but I won't get into that here.

Other than that, I'd have to say Pride and Prejudice. It is just an amazing book that fills me with joy every time I read it. If you want to actually believe in true love and happily ever after.... this is the one book I would recommend.
一年多以前 Sunflower said…
This is really a hard one... I go for Stranger in a Strange land by Robert Heinlein. It is a very unusual sci-fi story -- funny, wise, exciting and sad, with lots of interesting perspectives on being human.
一年多以前 katie89 said…
I would recomend And Then There Were None. Agatha Christie was a genius. It's my favorite book of all time and a brilliant mystery.
一年多以前 msqueenbea said…
Every dead thing by John Connolly, it's really a great book, i happened to pick it up from the crime section at WH Smiths when I was frustrated at the lack of decent horror books on offer. I've now read all his books (except the new one which i've just started). they're great.
一年多以前 Cinders said…
Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves.

Best modern book I have ever read.

Go buy it. Now.

Especially for horror-nuts, code-breakers, mystery-lovers, philosophers, physics majors, puzzle-lovers, film studies experts, sesquipedalians and bibliophiles.
一年多以前 emmahugstrees said…
The Virgin Suicides
Middlesex
The Lovely Bones

all beutifully complex, well written books.
一年多以前 harold said…
I no longer have one book that stands out to me in that way. "Everyone in the world" is way too broad, and I tailor my recommendations to the audience. I'll recommend different books for teens, for children, for adults of different interests and reading ability.

Each of the links I've provided in the spot would serve as the "one book" for different audiences.
一年多以前 aimeemarie said…
i would usually give my default answer of the catcher in the rye, but i've been reading some really great stuff lately.

although everyone should of course read catcher in the rye b/c it's amazing, another one to recommend is killing yourself to live by chuck klosterman. it's a great road trip narrative that makes stops at all the places where famous rock stars have met their demise.

definitely something to look into. =)
一年多以前 dodgeball_beast said…
I'd go with Ender's Game. Just a really fun read. Plus, the re-readability is great.
一年多以前 marissa said…
this is such an impossible question...

i agree with kateliness2, and i would say the bible, but im pretty sure we're looking for story books here.

i loved the lord of the rings seris. you can reread them over and over and always find something you missed before.

but id also have to recommd tuesdays with morrie. im reading it now and its really good.
its a beautifully simple story about an old, dying professor who talks about life with one of his old students.
一年多以前 officefan2010 said…
other than the Bible,
I would suggest anything by Frank Peretti.
He's an amazing suspense author.
一年多以前 yeahisawsparks said…
HOUSE OF LEAVES! Ahhh I can't believe somebody else recommended it I'm so excited!
一年多以前 Cinders said…
I LOVE THAT BOOK, YEAHISAWSPARKS! So much that I wanted to make a spot but figured I'd be the only fan... lol...

Have you read his new book, link? Let me tell you, it's a doozy. I can't get through it, but I'm going to buy it on tape and hope it's easier that way.

House of Leaves rocks.
last edited 一年多以前
一年多以前 xNikishax said…
If I had to choose only book, then "Perfume - The Story of a Murderer" because I just LOVE that book and because most people have only seen the movie and the book is so much better.
一年多以前 Zerstoren said…
For entertainment: His Dark Materials. (Also known as The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass)
一年多以前 cressida said…
That is/are WONDERFUL books Zerstoren. Amazing amazing amazing.
一年多以前 piperpayton22 said…
The Truth About Forever

i dont know who it is by but it is a really great chick bood for all the people to read becase it is about his girl who lost her dad and mom only cares about work and for her to get good grades and her sister is not livin with them andshe finds these really good job and the people are reall nice so it is really good book so you guys should read it
一年多以前 iluvjesse said…
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
IT IS AMAZING!!!!
一年多以前 BuffySummers17 said…
Eleanor's story an american gril in hitler's germany. It is about how she lived during World war II in germany, at first its a bit boring but after a while it get intresting
一年多以前 twilightlover13 said…
TWILIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! best book in the world. I'm totally obsessed with these books. its a vampire story based off of romeo and Juliete in modern times. even non-vampire fans would love this book. it's sequels are new moon and eclipse (and soon to be breaking dawn in fall 2008!) they are written by Stephenie Meyer. just type in Stephenie Meyer in the fanpop search bar and it'll bring you to the twilight spot. amazing love story. people of all ages from teen to 100 would enjoy this book. I'd recommend it for anyone.
一年多以前 rockstarjoker said…
Player Piano. Kurt Vonnegut

It was written almost half a century ago, but the themes (loss of ones ability to provide for his family leads to loss of self worth, Class inequality in a suppposedly "classless" society, machines vs human work) are increasingly relevant in the current era.
last edited 一年多以前
一年多以前 lynne_204 said…
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, it's amazing!! It's being made into a film just now so read it before if you get a chance as i doubt the film will live up to the book
一年多以前 DrDevience said…
The Time Traveler's Wife is indeed a good book... but I would currently recommend everyone in the US read A Handmaid's Tale. With the way that country is headed, this situation is very plausible.

And to those recommending the Bible, well, it may shock you coming from an Athiest, but I also recommend everybody read that... for very different reasons from you, I'm sure. heh.
一年多以前 emirc2363 said…
A Time To Kill-John Grisham.

it's a great thriller and it only took me a matter of hours to finish. definitely one of my favorite books.
一年多以前 atari said…
Since Ender's Game has already been mentioned, I'll go with Ella Enchanted. (Hush, I know it's a kid's book. And that I'm 19.) It's a great story with a strong herione and lots of laughs.

If you haven't read this book by Gail Carson Levine, I suggest you do.
一年多以前 Zerstoren said…
The Westing Game. :) Children's book yes, but I still enjoy it today (I'm 19.)
一年多以前 caintil31 said…
The Lovely Bones. I read it when I was 13 and I LOVED it. A movie is being filmed for it right now actually
一年多以前 cressida said…
Ella Enchanted is sooo good. I refused to see the movie. And A Handmaid's Tale is brilliant -- it is a permanent part of my luggage collection (so it goes with me wherever I go).
一年多以前 miiamya said…
wise choice cressida. the movie made me very angry.

anyways...

The Chosen by Chaim Potok

i cry every time i read it but all his books are really good
一年多以前 imprint-on-me said…
I would definatly have to say, the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. Another good series would be the Underwood trilogy by Michael Lawrence
一年多以前 sallywag said…
Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
It is like the best book in the world. It just made so much sense and it really helped me through a hard time. it was never published in scotland but my friends aunt sent her a copy i borrow it when ever i need cheering up.
last edited 一年多以前
一年多以前 sallywag said…
also the lost art of keeping secrets and fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe (its not like the movie, the movie sucks (and was kinda racist))
一年多以前 sallywag said…
i know you just said one but i read ALOT.
一年多以前 theraconteur said…
The Orange Girl by Jostein Gaarder - pretty much changed my outlook on the world. Very very philosophical. Most of Gaarder's books are fantastic (Sophie's World is dry though)

Other books:
Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote
Sport of the Gods by Paul Laurence Dunbar
Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen
Davita's Harp by Chaim Potok

一年多以前 aquasirena said…
Dirk Gently's Hollistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams

And since it's kinda short, maybe the follow-up, The Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul.

Both of those books blew my mind, but at the same time were funny and entertaining.
一年多以前 katie89 said…
I've already suggested "and then there were none" but i also recommend "spoon river anthology". it's a collection of poems written from the point of view of the deceased in an illinois graveyard. it's beautiful.
一年多以前 doonis said…
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Such a wonderful book.
一年多以前 ineedcoffee said…
for non fiction I suggest Shake Hands With Devil The Romeo Dallaire Story
and for fiction and those who like the tv show Bones try reading the Temperence Brenan novels by Kathy Reichs realy good books
一年多以前 sillyansally said…
carrie pilby vs the world. a really funny book.
一年多以前 luvrofedward said…
The More I See You- Lynn Kurland

if you like romance stories you should definately read this one. its also a time-travel story as well, so i think that that makes it more interesting.
一年多以前 Labradoodle said…
Twilight definitely! An amazing book that everyone should read - for pure entertainment.
一年多以前 snoznoodle said…
I'm not very original so I'd have to say Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It's my all-time favourite book. It's just amazingly good.
一年多以前 DJ-Scapegoat said…
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It'll be the ONLY bleepin' book they'll ever read again.
一年多以前 blisslikethis said…
wow, so many good suggestions! i'm pretty stoked that someone mentioned His Dark Materials and A Handmaid's Tale (very different books, but both excellent reads). Shake Hands With the Devil is also a great choice, if you can get through it (and Canadian! yipee!). I actually just saw Romeo Dallaire speak at UBC a couple of weeks ago, as a random sidenote. as for my pick, it's impossible to narrow down to just one, so i'll go with a top 3:
1. Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
- absolutely revolutionary. if this book doesn't change your entire worldview, i'll eat my shirt.
2. The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
"I felt like lying down by the side of the trail and remembering it all. The woods do that to you, they always look familiar, long lost, like the face of a long-dead relative, like an old dream, like a piece of forgotten song drifting across the water, most of all like golden eternities of past childhood or past manhood and all the living and the dying and the heartbreak that went on a million years ago and the clouds as they pass overhead seem to testify (by their own lonesome familiarity) to this feeling."
- brilliant, just plain brilliant.
3. anything by Jasper Fforde
- quirky, irreverant, good old dry British (but actually Welsh) humour
... this was super long, sorry guys haha
last edited 一年多以前
一年多以前 ollythedolly said…
Someone above mentioned that they tailor their recommendations for whomever needs it. So here goes:

Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold: for anyone
Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger: for teens
The Giver - Lois Lowry: for younger teens, it can only be described as a Brave New World for kids and is possibly the best kids book I have ever read.

Finally, anyone who appreciates amazing story telling must read John Irving because he is the master. I usually tell people to start with a Prayer for Owen Meany...
一年多以前 XpsychotickissX said…
Practical Magic or Looking For Alaska
一年多以前 Bananastand said…
For those who liked Catcher in the Rye I have to direct towards Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. Plan on reading Ender's Game soon as it's recommended everywhere!
一年多以前 slytherin360 said…
twilight is an amazing book :)
一年多以前 ThinkPink20 said…
Ok, the ONE book I'll recommend is Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. I loved Da Vinci Code, but this was BETTER!

And I haven't seen Ella Enchanted for that reason either, Cressida. If you like that book, however, I recommend The Two Pricesses of Bamarre. Also an amazing book!